Thursday 5 March 2015

Who am I?

OK! So my first blogging experience.. WOW where to start!
Firstly, I am a young South African composer studying at AFDA film school in Johannesburg.
I have a passion for EPIC scores that derived mainly from my mentor; Geo Hohn (a well known South African film composer).

I have been classically trained on piano from the young age of 7 (15 years) and I suppose this is where the root of my passion for music lies.


Originally I wanted nothing to do with film music; focusing rather on popular music production  than film composition.
Whilst I still persue said dream within the popular music industry my focus has changed however to becoming a leading film composer within the industry.


I think the film that first captured my attention, with regards to the film score, was Pirates of the Caribbean, A beautiful score by the legendary Hans Zimmer.
Hans' ability to create these huge soundscapes through his simplistic yet moving melodies and countermelodies truly inspires and drives me within my own compositions.

I am driven by perfection, and whilst I know that nothing can be truly perfect my aim for this year is to create two scores that suite their accompanying films PERFECTLY.
With regards to the experimental medium I have learnt (and am currently learning) a great deal about experimental music. I hope to further my knowledge and apply said knowledge to my compositions.
My ultimate goal for this year however, is to create music worthy of my showreel.
Being a student, a lot of the projects we do are purely done with the intent of a passing mark (or distinction in my case). However, this year is my year to make something worthwhile that I can be proud to call my own!

Soooo, i suppose this sums me up in a nutshell! A young composer with BIG aspirations, gaining both knowledge and experience to replicate that which excites me; epic film scores.

Find below the link to my Mentors' website to get some insight into my inspiration!
http://www.geohoehn.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment